Friday, March 28, 2014

Notes on the Previous Five Stories

Well, better late than never. I just felt I should close the loop and finally post these long-shelved notes on my most recent stories (most recent as in, from a year ago).

All but one of these stories came from story prompts from the now defunct (alas) Flash Fiction Friday.

The Spell of Opening” came from the cue: “Write a story where a door figures prominently in the plot. Word limit: 1,000 words.” Thought I’d try my hand at a wizardly tale.

Blasé” arose from the cue: “Write a story in which your protagonist encounters some sort of double or doppelganger. Word limit: 1,200 words.” I like turnabout reveals.

Fever” was the product of the cue: “Write a springtime story about love using these words: kiss, breeze, kite, skunk, and mud. Word Limit: 1,300.” So, ummm, yeah. I made a foray into animal erotica. What can I say?

Mirror, Mirror” came from a desire to write another science fiction story – and conjure up a tall, breathtaking blonde. What can I say? I have a thing for tall women.

The Palanquin Ride” was my response to the cue: “Put your story in motion, tell it from the vantage point of the journey, not the destination. Word Limit: 1,500.” I love this story. It was a nice capstone to this recent period of creative writing which, alas, seems to have run its course. For the time being, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment